The American astronaut, Sunita Williams landed in her ancestral hometown, Ahmedabad yesterday. This is her first visit to India after conquering the space. There were a lot of emotions and passions running around the politically volatile state of Gujarat even before she arrived. HIren Pandya the assassinated minister and the BJP leader is Sunita’s cousin. The Chief Minister Narendra Modi is in the eye of the world strom is charged by political opponents as the man behind Pandya’s murder. This unsolved accusation runs deep in the astronaut’s mind. More importantly the portrayal of Modi as the social villain of the vibrant Gujarat state has increased the hatred towards him.
Combined with all these factors, the media played a dominant role in creating a war between Sunita and Modi. No body knows whether there is any ill will in reality between the two. But the 24×7 channels and newspapers without a break conveyed this unknown enmity to the public. A message conveyed many times becomes the reality. This had become totally true in Sunita Williams Gujarat visit.
With the election to the Gujarat assembly fast approaching, the main opposition party Congress wants to cash in Sunita Williams visit. Rightly it made it a political issue and trying to create hatredness among the family of Hiren Pandya against Modi. The full involvement of the Congress leaders in the reception given to the American astronaut shows the political motive behind the issue. Wherever she goes there is a big gang of Congress leaders behind the space walker.
What does this issue mean to Sunita Williams profession?
1. A high class professional like Sunita should not give space to political menu cooked in the local flavours
2. Her popularity is not going to be steady
3. Politicians are known for using people for the occasions and dump them after their job is done
4. Hiren Pandya’s murder does not have ample proof to point towards the involvement of Narendra Modi
5. According to the present political scenario the public support for Modi is growing
6. The divided Congress is without a credible leader to motivate the voters against Modi
7. What will be the fate of Sunita if Modi returns to power with brute majority?
8. The American government may strike a friendship deal with him and Sunita may be forced to work with Modi
9. She should ignore the requests for political appearances
10. Sunita should cash in her pan Indian popularity and keep her visit to Gujarat a personal one
The failure of Modi’s opponents is imminent in the election battle. He is known for reacting in a harsh manner verbally. In the interests of state’s development all the stakeholders should avoid politicizing personal matters and adopt a neutral approach. There are so many issues which can be taken up electorally. Modi has not fulfilled all his election promises. Poverty, health, education, infrastructure, transport, gender and other crucial factors can be whipped to oust Modi. The more the opposition tries to turn public against Modi over petty issues the better is his popularity ratings and electoral dividends.